One of the first things we are doing in the Nepal-Malaysia corridor is to try to understand how migrants currently use digital technologies, and so together with our colleague Anita Ghimire and her team at the Nepal Institute for Social and Environmental Research, we have created a short online survey in Nepali (आप्रवासी र डिजिटल प्रविधिहरु – नेपाली) for migrants, returned migrants and their families to complete (this takes less than 15 minutes). This was launched on 5th May 2020. Please do share the link widely amongst Nepalese migrants.
As part of our research, and in the interests of disseminating this as widely as possible, we are compiling a database of publications on the use of digital technologies by migrants, focusing particularly on South-South migration. This page provides a short introduction to this body of literature as it relates to our Nepal-Malaysia corridor, by featuring some of the most interesting work in the field. Not all of these publications explicitly address the use of digital technologies by migrants in this corridor, but they do provide valuable insights that have framed our understanding of the issues. Inclusion in this listing does not, though, indicate that we or other members of the Hub agree with the arguments contained therein.
- Hassan, A., Juhdi, N. and Ali, S.A. (2019) Job quality, affective commitment and intention to migrate: a study of ICT employees in Malaysia, International Journal of Human Potentials Management, 1(1)
- ILO (2018) New digital service “SaverAsia” helps migrant workers save when sending money home, Geneva: ILO
- ILO (2019) Digitalization to promote decent work for migrant workers in ASEAN, Geneva: ILO.
- ILO (2019) Migrating in ASEAN with a mobile phone: gender gaps are not only in migrants’ salaries, but also in digital access, ILO Press release.
- SUARAM (2018) SUARAM Human Rights Report Overview 2018, Petaling Jaya: SUARAM
- Wahab, A. (2020) The outbreak of Covid-19 in Malaysia: pushing migrant workers at the margin, Social Sciences & Humanities Open, 2(1), 100073
Latest update 20th August 2020