Members of the UNESCO Chair in ICT4D have been very active in hosting and convening conferences and workshops in the field of ICT4D. These include major international events, smaller workshops, conference sessions, and serving on the boards of conferences. Some highlights of our activities include the following:
Conferences and high-level workshops convened by the UNESCO Chair in ICT4D
- ICT4D 2020 Non-Conference. We are very excited to announce that on the tenth anniversary of our successful ICTD2010 conference, we will be convening the ICT4D 2020 Non-Conference on 8-10 September 2020 at Royal Holloway, University of London. We intend to make this one of the most exciting and different gatherings of people from across the world who want to have in-depth discussions about key issues in the field of ICT4D. Please return to the link above for regular updates, or use our contact page to get in touch with us about this exciting event.
- ifip wg 9.4 Euro 2018 Conference (Convened by Endrit Kromidha), Tirana, 22-24 June 2018. This conference brought together an amazing group of people from across Europe to explore the social implications of computers in developing countries. Topics ranged from the use of critical realism to the harm that digital technologies can do. It was also a great opportunity for participants to learn more about the technological developments taking place in Albania, whilst also exploring Tirana and the surrounding countryside.
- Phone, data and mobile money: tracking human trafficking (with Prof. Mirjam van Reisen), 7th October 2015 held at the CTO, London. A high-level expert meeting as input to the Valetta Conference, with opening remarks by Peter Sutherland (UN SG Migration and Development), Sheila Keetaruth (UN SG Eritrea), Pierre Vimont, (Special Envoy Valletta Conference, by videolink), Baroness Kinnock of Holyhead.
- ICTD 2010. The UNESCO Chair in ICT4D was delighted to have been invited to host and convene the ICTD 2010 conference. This attracted some 520 people from 50 countries. Thanks to the generosity of our 10 sponsors and 20 partners we were able to support 92 participants with full or partial scholarships, and also to provide a lively social programme. There were 41 sessions, 35 posters, 18 demos, 2 hands on workshops, and 2 keynote addresses by Sir Tim Berners-Lee and Prof Geoff Walsham (Post-conference report).
Conferences for which Members of the UNESCO Chair in ICT4D have served on advisory boards or steering committees
- ICT4D Conference, Lusaka, 8-10 May 2018.
- e-Learning Africa 2006-2012
- ICIS 2017
- ICTD series of conferences 2012 (Atlanta), 2015 (Singapore)
- IFIP 8.6 2013 and IFIP 9.4 2015 and 2017
- Online Educa Berlin 2006-2103
- World Computer Congress 2010, Brisbane.
Conference sessions convened by Members of the UNESCO Chair in ICT4D
- TEQtogether session on changing men’s attitudes and behaviours towards women and technology at WSIS 2019 Annual Forum, 11 April 2019
- Expert Panel on the capabilities approach at ICTD2012 in Atlanta
- Convenor of session on mobiles, social media and democracy at ICTD2012 in Atlanta