Members of the UNESCO Chair in ICT4D have been very active in hosting and convening conferences and workshops in the field of ICT4D. These include major international events, smaller workshops, conference sessions, and serving on the boards of conferences. Some highlights of our activities include the following:
Conferences and high-level workshops convened by the UNESCO Chair in ICT4D
- ICT4D 2020 Non-Conference on Rethinking Safe Inclusive Digital Technology for All. In 2020 we had intended to hold an exciting and innovative face-to-face conferences to celebrate the tenth anniversary of the successful ICTD2010 conference heldat Royal Holloway, University of London. However, we had to change our plans very substantially with the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, and instead we convened a one day Virtual Non-Conference on 16th September 2020 with a distinct focus on providing a forum for early career researchers to profile their work. There was also a special session convened by Hari Harindranath on mogration and technology. Materials from this event are available as follows:
- Programme and links
- Posters (all posters can be downloaded from these links)
- Demos (with links to demo videos)
- The three winners of the Emerald Publishing Virtual ICT4D Non-Conference 2020 were announced during the closing discussion (listed in alphabetical order of first name):
- ifip wg 9.4 Euro 2018 Conference (Convened by Endrit Kromidha), Tirana, 22-24 June 2018. This conference brought together an amazing group of people from across Europe to explore the social implications of computers in developing countries. Topics ranged from the use of critical realism to the harm that digital technologies can do. It was also a great opportunity for participants to learn more about the technological developments taking place in Albania, whilst also exploring Tirana and the surrounding countryside.
- Phone, data and mobile money: tracking human trafficking (with Prof. Mirjam van Reisen), 7th October 2015 held at the CTO, London. A high-level expert meeting as input to the Valetta Conference, with opening remarks by Peter Sutherland (UN SG Migration and Development), Sheila Keetaruth (UN SG Eritrea), Pierre Vimont, (Special Envoy Valletta Conference, by videolink), Baroness Kinnock of Holyhead.
- ICTD 2010. The UNESCO Chair in ICT4D was delighted to have been invited to host and convene the ICTD 2010 conference. This attracted some 520 people from 50 countries. Thanks to the generosity of our 10 sponsors and 20 partners we were able to support 92 participants with full or partial scholarships, and also to provide a lively social programme. There were 41 sessions, 35 posters, 18 demos, 2 hands on workshops, and 2 keynote addresses by Sir Tim Berners-Lee and Prof Geoff Walsham (Post-conference report).
Conferences for which Members of the UNESCO Chair in ICT4D have served on advisory boards or steering committees
- ICT4D Conference, Lusaka, 8-10 May 2018.
- e-Learning Africa 2006-2012
- ICIS 2017
- ICTD series of conferences 2012 (Atlanta), 2015 (Singapore)
- IFIP 8.6 2013 and IFIP 9.4 2015 and 2017
- Online Educa Berlin 2006-2103
- World Computer Congress 2010, Brisbane.
Conference sessions convened by Members of the UNESCO Chair in ICT4D
- TEQtogether session on changing men’s attitudes and behaviours towards women and technology at WSIS 2019 Annual Forum, 11 April 2019
- Expert Panel on the capabilities approach at ICTD2012 in Atlanta
- Convenor of session on mobiles, social media and democracy at ICTD2012 in Atlanta